168 HoursDec 17th, 2010 | By Sharee Anne | Category: Lead Article, Organization
168 hours, that is how much time we have each week. Sounds like a lot, doesn’t feel like much.I’ve been reading a book by Laura Vanderkam titled 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think. It starts out by having you do a time diary for at least a week (168 hours). This allows you to see where you are spending your time. How many hours did you spend sleeping, eating, getting ready each day, driving, working, hobbies, housework, etc. This was definitely an eye opener.
What I learned:
- I get just the right amount of sleep.
- I don’t spend as much time doing house work as I thought.
- I don’t spend as much time focused on my little girl as I thought (something to definitely work on).
- Many things I dread don’t take as long as I imagine.
- I do get a chance to connect with my husband everyday.
- I can fit a lot more into my life.
Another great benefit I received from keeping a time dairy is I stayed on task and became more productive just by writing it down. I didn’t spend as much time on facebook or researching(surfing) the web. I didn’t want to write down that I had wasted an hour.
I’ve become much more aware of how I spend my time since this experiment. I don’t feel so starved for time and I’m getting a lot more done. This doesn’t mean I’m busy every second of the day, but I’m more intentional about what I do with my time.
How do you spend your time? What would you like to change?