Being a Mom is hard work and it is so easy to get caught up in helping everyone else and forget to take care of yourself until your body forces you to. I’ve found with the stresses of life and having 5 children my weight has crept up to a very uncomfortable level. I’d like to share 25 simple ways that I’ve learned to cut back on calories each day.
1. Eat an orange rather than drinking a glass of orange juice.
2. Stick to portion sizes. Check the box you may be surprised.
3. Rather than pouring dressing on your salad dip your salad in the dressing.
4. Make an open face sandwich. One less slice of bread saves you lots of calories.
5. Instead of eating ice cream, eat frozen yogurt.
6. Dip your veggies in hummus instead of a sour cream based dip or cheesy dip.
7. Use applesauce instead of oil in your recipes.
8. Spray a pan with cooking spray instead of pouring in oil.
9. Measure your breakfast cereal. You’ll be surprised what a serving really is.
10. Switch from juice to Crystal Light.
11. Drink water! Makes you fill full and no calories.
12. Eat chocolate covered strawberry instead of a cookie or cake for dessert.
13. Split your entrée at a restaurant with someone or immediately box up half of it to eat the next day.
14. Eat at the table instead of in front of the computer or TV. You will eat less.
15. Use a smaller plate. You’ll eat less.
16. Don’t eat out of the box or bag. Count or measure out a serving of crackers, chips, almonds, etc.
17. Leave serving dishes in the kitchen. Your less likely to get seconds if you have to leave the table to get it.
18. Eat slowly and chew. Listen to your body. Stop when you are full.
19. Skip the butter on your pancakes or waffles.
20. Use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage
21. Instead of using regular sour cream use fat-free.
22. Use reduced fat mayo instead of regular
23. Top your dessert with light whipping cream instead of vanilla ice cream.
24. Replace your potatoes with cauliflower when making potato salad.
25. Write down everything you eat! If I know I’m going to have to write it down I stop and think. For added motivation have an accountability partner who you share your journal with daily or weekly.
What tips do you have for cutting calories?